Wednesday, April 15, 2009

without legs

A long week without legs

Last Sunday seemed like a normal day. I did some work in my yard on the fence, general weekend stuff. Then Sunday night the hammer fell. I started to get up from the couch after dinner. I went immediately down to the ground hard. I hit my elbow and shoulder on the ceramic tiled floor and head and neck on the bottom of the couch. I though I just made a goofy step or something. I was checking to see what was hurt and besides the obvious neck and shoulder my legs felt kind of goofy. I moved them so I thought no big deal. I started to get up and something was not right. I could not support my weight. This was kind of new but didn’t freak me out yet. It should pass in 30 minutes or so. I probably just over did it. Bedtime rolled around and I still couldn’t stand up. My wife somehow drug me to the bedroom. I was dead tired and had no problem going to sleep. The next morning came and still no legs. I could not support my weight still. Tuesday rolled around and I still could not stand. My neurologist had me come in that day. I called him that morning and was sitting in his office that afternoon. If things did not improve by the end of the week I was going to have a M.R.I. He also ordered me a wheel chair. This seemed like no big deal until I got home. Then it hit me. I don’t want to be in a chair 24-7. I lost it. I couldn’t even make it to all of the rooms in my own house. Now I had a walker at home and a wheel chair on the way. Wednesday I could stand up with the help of leaning on something. Slowly I could take steps as time went on. Kind of like Frankenstein. Slow dragging monster steps with the aid of a walker. Friday rolled around and I could walk with a cane and slowly by myself. I was ready to get outside of the house. I was going crazy stuck inside. I drove the car around the block with my wife to see if I could do it. I watered the yard and feed the dogs. Just from that I was beat down.
Saturday was better and Sunday also. I can walk without any help now. It’s just not as smooth as before and I get tired sooner. Just another fun filled week with ms. This is the short version of the week. I thought that I would spare you the details until another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment